Skip to main content

Joyful Findings- CWWC Final Story!

This is the FINAL post for CWWC! I have had a blast working with Loren, the young lady who put this on. I hope she does it again next year! I used a grand total of 11 prompts in this one story! Without further ado, I present: "Joyful Findings"

Mr. Newton plopped down on the couch, and opened the newspaper. “Missing dog.” It said.
“Look honey,” He called to his wife, “We made the front page!” 
“Yes dear, I see. I hope someone finds him, for Jamie’s sake.” Mrs. Newton replied, coming in and sitting down next to him. He nodded in reply.
 They had recently lost their dog Sparky, and their daughter Jamie, was taking it rather harshly. 
“Hey!” Jamie suddenly appeared at their side. “Anyone call for Sparky?” The silence told her what she needed to know. Her face dropped. She rushed up to her room, brushing away tears. She busted through her door. She tripped and broke a snow globe. She continued to fall until she was full out on the floor. She didn’t even care. She laid there, not caring what happened. 

She suddenly noticed she was soaking wet, and not with tears. She looked up and saw she was in the woods. It was raining like crazy! She released the tree branch she was clinging to. She looked around carefully. The only landmark she noticed was a wooden post with the engraving, “Here be faeries.” 
“Hmp,” She thought to herself. “They need some grammar lessons.”

 She started to wander around. She continued to look around the muddy forest as she went. While doing so, she saw some odd, white creatures tromping around her. Somehow not scared, she simply continued to walk on. She passed quite a few odd things, not worth mentioning. 

But after a while of wandering, she began to grow weary. Thankfully, she had spotted a nearby abandoned cabin that she might be able to stay the night in. She retraced her steps and quickly found it again. She went in the squeaky door, turned and shut it. She jumped as she read what it said. “The worlds not safe anymore,” It read. She noticed it had a ton of locks on it, eight to be exact. A bit befuddled, she continued further in. She approached a bedroom, with a simple bed and nightstand. She began to crawl in it. 

“Hey!” Jamie jumped. “Watch it will ya?” Jamie quickly retreated away from the bed, and the voice. 
“Who’s there?” Her voice trembled as she watched the covers unveil a small creature.
“I should ask the same for you!” The creature replied. “But, if you must know. I am Kite. Who are you?”
“I am Jamie. May I ask, what are you?”
“Well, seeing as you already asked, I am a Ferryman.” 
Jamie wondered why that sounded so familiar. She pondered for a moment, then suddenly she knew. She had a book, with a beautiful cover on it. It was a waterfall, with a Ferryman and a dragon on a nearby branch. She loved that book, and had read it over and over again. “A Ferryman?” She inquired.
“Yes, a FERRYMAN.” Kite said it slowly, annunciating each salable clearly. “Do you have a problem with that?”
“Of course not. I just…” Her thoughts trailed off. 
“Now, I have a question for you! I guard the portals here day and night. So, how did you get here?” And so came the explanation. 

They chatted on a while longer until Kite noted how late it was. “You’d better get some sleep. You can sleep on the roof.” She nodded towards the stairway. She headed up to the top of the tin roof. She leaned over the edge and inhaled deeply. The air was more fresh up here. The stars and moon seemed brighter somehow. She felt, free.

 The sky flashed around her, she was suddenly back in her own room, on the floor. She heard a gentle rap on the door. She stood up and opened it. Her dad stood there. 
“Any news?” She asked him.

“I have been asking around sweetie, but the only answer I’ve been getting is, ‘I can’t help you.’” He imitated a large man with a deep voice as he said the words. “I am sorry honey.” They hugged in front of the bay windows in Jamie’s room. She sobbed on his shoulder, and he comforted her. They finally disengaged and Jamie sat down on her bed. Her dad left the room quietly.

 She looked up at her jars of paint. She had forgotten about painting in her mourning of her dog. She picked up her paint brush and set to work. She painted two girls playing in the sprinklers, with princess dresses and lots of glitter. She stepped back to admire her work. Maybe there was some joy after all.

-The End

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From Prison to Peace

It’s been quite a while since I have been able to write! I have had a wonderful, crazy summer! From dance camps to just swimming, I’ve had a great time. But I’ve returned, with more words that God has put on my heart. I hope you enjoy! The enemy is constantly trying to steal our peace. He is trying to steal our Joy. He is trying to keep us in bondage. Whether through deaths, broken relationships, or just day to day arguments, he is after us all. Tonight I realize why he does this. In Ephesians 6, Paul writes about the armor of God. As some of you will recall, this includes the shoes of the Gospel of Peace. When people trap or enslave others, they remove their shoes, to keep them from attempting escape. The Devil does the same thing. He has lulled us to sleep, and ensnared us in a dreary circle of apathy. Then, he removes our shoes, our peace, to ensure our detainment.  It is time to rise up and end our bondage! Even though Satan works to steal our peace, we can receive abund

The Second Story!

Here is my second story for CWWC! I included all 3 prompts, along with 2 prompts from the last story. I hope you enjoy! “Hey, where’s Jill?” Lanie asked Grace. “Uh, I don’t know. I haven’t seen her since Math.” Lanie went to the math room and opened the squeaky classroom door. There sat June, alone at her desk. No one else was in the room. Why should they be? School was over!  “Hey Jill.” Lanie gently said. “Are you ok in here?”  Jill jumped, startled. She sniffed and wiped her eyes. “Yea, Thanks Lanie.” She sniffed again. Lanie came closer and sat at the desk next to her.  “What’s wrong Jill? Come on, you can tell me!” Jill looked into Lanie’s eyes, searching for something she could trust. She seemed to find it. She looked away in embarrassment, then turned back to Lanie.  “My parents are getting a divorce.” She sobbed, now crying full out. “They just told me this morning.” Lanie got up and went to Jill. They hugged, crying together.  “I’m sorry Jill, I know

The fear of NO!

No. The dreaded words of the human society. We, as people never want to be told no. Weather we ask: “Do you love me” or “Can I go to Cheryl’s house?” We never want to hear that two-lettered word, No. But sometimes, even though we don’t want to hear it, we need to hear that word. I believe our fear of hearing no effects our conversations with our family, friends, and God. Yes, with God. I’ll show you what I mean. If you are praying, and you ask God. “I really want to go to Camp. Do you think I should go?” We really don’t want to hear:  “No, don’t go to that Camp.” Some might assume to just not ask and simply do as they please. Some are scared to ask, they are scared to leave it up to God. Just a few days ago I realized I was avoiding asking God what I should do for fear of not getting the answer I wanted. It is selfish to think that way. It is an odd selfishness though. Because if we don’t ask for the fear of getting a no, we are missing out on a far greater plan that God has laid out